Five ways to think about your value
1. How does the way that your performance is measured, relate to the organization’s reason for being?
Poor: I worked harder this month than last.
Better: I enabled the company to sell more widgets or prevented mistakes that kept people from going to jail.
2. Are you part of an independent service, or is your service in support of something larger?
3. What other services is your success dependent on?
4. In completing your tasks, are you “hanging other people out to dry,” or do you consider their involvement?
5. Have you taken time to consider if there is more than one way to achieve the outcome, or are you married to your favorite method?
© Wayne McKinnon 2011. All rights reserved.